FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Carrot cake on the healthier side

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Carrot cake on the healthier side

I love carrot cake, but I don't make it too often because of all the calories.  I was so excited when I found this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens that cut the calories off the traditional recipe. Instead of all the oil, you can use mango juice.

As some of you my know, I have mango trees and we had so many mangoes this year. I am always looking for mango recipes, so I am giving this a try.
Eclectic Red Barn: Healthier Mango Carrot Cake - save calories by using mango juice instead of oil

I modified the recipe a bit. Instead of using two 8 inch round pans, I used a 9 x 13 pan. This created more of a "bar like" cake. Also, for the mango juice, I took a frozen package of my mangoes and put them in the blender. This was a little thicker than juice, but worked just fine.

To save some additional calories, I used light cream cheese in the frosting.  You could save even more by using Splenda if you want.
Eclectic Red Barn: Healthier Mango Carrot Cake
I didn't get many pictures, since I was sending them to my neighbors for helping us trim up our trees. One neighbor has a bucket truck and our three trees in the front needed some trimming. I was making these while they worked on the trees and was able to send them home with them when they were done.

So if you love carrot cake, but would like to cut some of the calories, give this mango carrot cake a try.


Recipe                                                                                                                                       Print

Mango-Carrot Cake

Eclectic Red Barn: Healthier Mango Carrot Cake


Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg

½ cup butter, softened

1 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

3/4 - 1 cup refrigerated mango juice blend (such as Odwalla Mango Tango or Naked Juice Mighty Mango)

3 cups finely shredded carrot


Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened

¼ cup butter, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

4 cups powdered sugar

Directions


  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour two 8x1 1/2-inch round cake pan; (or a 9 X 13 inch pan) set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg; set aside.

  2. In a large mixing bowl beat butter on medium-high speed for 30 seconds. Gradually add granulated sugar; beat until combined. Beat 2 minutes more. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternately add flour mixture and 3/4 cup of the mango juice; beat on low after each addition just until combined. Stir in shredded carrot. Pour into prepared pan.

  3. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely. Frost top of one cake layer with Cream Cheese Frosting. Top with remaining cake layer; frost as desired.

Frosting
  1. In a large mixing bowl beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in powdered sugar.
 
The post Healthier Carrot Mango Cake first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.

Linking to these parties:
TGC-DIY Inspired host graphic-pngNEWDIYLargeButtonInspire Me MondayA Peek Into My ParadiseProject Inspired 150x150 Party ButtonIn and Out of the Kitchen Link Party - share and find recipes, crafts, DIY projects and moreA Stroll Thru Life



No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...