FFf Eclectic Red Barn

Tuesday, November 20, 2012


Travel mug gift with stocking tag printable
Travel Mug with Fabric Stocking Tag
It seems that I always have a travel mug in my hands, either with hot tea, water or iced tea. I actually have a separate one for water. I don't like any other flavors to affect my water. I guess I'm a little odd.

I see others carrying their mugs too, so I thought that a travel mug would make a good Christmas gift or teacher gift. I always try to have extra gifts already made, since you never know when you might need one. I always need a little something! 

This project was super easy and you can customized any way you want.

I purchased the travel mugs at the Dollar Tree. On the first mug, I added some ribbon that I had and a small ornament tree (I found these in my stash of things I purchased at the end of Christmas last year for 25 cents each.) I also added a sprig of berries.  

Travel Mug Gift and Stocking Tag Printable
Decorated Travel Mug as Gift
decorative items for Christmas travel mug
Ribbon, Berries & Small Decoration
















Cost for this travel mug:
- Travel mug - $1.00
- Ribbon - about 10 cents (I used a piece from a roll that I originally purchased for $1.00) 
- Small ornament - 25 cents
- Total cost - $1.35 ( this will very depending on what you add as decorations)

Travel Mug Gift and Stocking Tag Printable
Travel Mug Gift with Fabric Stocking Tag

 I have added the patterns for the stocking tags in two sizes. The one I used on the mug is the larger size stocking.
Christmas stocking tag
Christmas Fabric Stocking Tag
There are two printables: one to make the fabric front of the stocking and the second is the to/from tag for the back. You can print them out by clicking on the links below. Note that you should print the to/from tag on card stock, as you will see later.
Free Stocking Tag Printables: When you click on the link below, there will be a button on that page that allows you to print the pdf file.
Free Fabric Stocking Tag and Free Stocking Tag To/From Label

1. Gather fabric scraps - I had plenty of Christmas fabric, but you could use anything.
2. Print the stocking pattern - the printable pattern includes the pieces for making two different fabric front stocking sizes
3. Cut out your pattern pieces.
4. Place the stocking pattern piece on your fabric and cut it out.
5. Cut out the leaves - here I used felt, but you can use what you like.
6. Cut out some berries - I used felt here also (I don't really use a pattern for the berries, I just start cutting.)

7. Cut the cuff or top of the stocking - I used white felt here.

8. Cut the heel out - I did not use the heel on this one, I alternated using some with heels and some without.
9. At this point, I iron the cut out stocking onto fabric interface. If you don’t have fabric interface, you can use Aleene’s Fabric Stiffener that you can purchase at your craft store. If you don’t want to buy this, you can make your own stiffener. Mix 1 part Elmer’s glue with 2 parts water. Use a small paintbrush and paint the glue mixture on. Let it dry and it will become somewhat stiff. The goal is not to have it stiff as a board, but stabilized.

10. Next I add the cuff to the top and put the heel on if you are using it.
11. Lastly, I add the leaves and the berries.
12. For the to/from back tags, I printed the tags onto card stock. There are two types of tags, one where you can color in the Ho Ho and one where it is already blackened in.
You may have to adjust them a little, depending on how you cut them out. Cut off the black lines.
Back of stocking tag

* For the smaller stocking, reduce the print out so it will fit, or let me know and I can send a reduced back to you.
13. Glue the tag to the back of the stocking using Elmer's glue, spray adhesive, or other adhesive.
14. Using a hole punch, make a hole, attach a piece of ribbon or string.

Well that's all there is to it. You have a cute name tag and an inexpensive gift. If you are thinking that maybe it doesn't seem like much of a gift, how about adding one of these options inside the mug:
- Some instant coffee packets. There are many of these on the market, just put several inside tied with a ribbon.
- Not coffee drinkers; wrap up some specialty tea packets.
- Something sweet - mints, candy, etc.
- Put a lovely hanky inside 
- Still not sure, why not give a gift card - Starbucks or others

Travel mug Christmas gift with fabric stocking tag
Christmas Travel Gift with Fabric Stocking Tag

Hope some of these ideas help. 

 

2 comments :

  1. Very festive! The price is right too :)

    Thank you for partying with the Wildly Original Crowd.
    <3 Christina at I Gotta Create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great gift idea~! Thanks for sharing..I'm going to use it..lol

    TracyAnn from www.crochethappy.com and http://asktracyann.crochethappy.com

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...