FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Need the frame but it has a hole

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Need the frame but it has a hole

Did you ever find the right piece you were looking for, only to find out it had a big hole in it? Well, that happened to me. I needed  a small round frame for a project I was working on. I searched, garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores. No lick, then a couple of weeks ago, I came across a new thrift store and there it was - just what  I wanted. A small, round frame and only 50 cents. Yeah!
Eclectic Red Barn: Round frame with mirror
All was well until I picked it up - and there it was - a big hole!

Eclectic Red Barn: Round frame with mirror that has a hole
Maybe it was not noticeable since it was on the back. Oh no!. You could see the hole from the side. Now what? He said I could have it for 10 cents. My husband just looked at me. You know that look that says, "I think you are nuts"!
Eclectic Red Barn: Round frame with mirror that has a hole
Do you ever just get focused and totally determined to make it work no matter what? Well, that is where I was. This frame was perfect for my project so fix it. 

I grabbed some wood filler. This happened to be white. Now you could put the wood filler into the hole, but since it was so big, this would require using a lot of wood filler and it would take some time to dry. Like many of you, I am not all that patient!
Eclectic Red Barn: Wood filler
So instead, I inserted some paper into the hole first.  
Eclectic Red Barn: Round frame with paper inserted into hole
The filler would have something to adhere to and I would not use all of my filler. Squeeze in some filler.
Eclectic Red Barn: Round frame with wood filler inserted into paper
At this point you can use a putty knife, but I have a tendency to use my fingers. I pushed the wood filler in and kept adding filler until it was full. I tried to smooth it out some although I would probably have to add more once it dries. It will shrink some. 

Once it is completely dry - drying time will vary depending on how much filler you had to use - sand the wood filler until you get your desired look. Since it would be very visible, I had to sand a good bit.
Eclectic Red Barn: Repaired round frame
Here is the hole when I was finished - where you might say. Yeah, I must have done it right.
Eclectic Red Barn: Repaired round frame with picture
Here is the frame completed. I will show you why I wanted this particular frame in another post. Stay tuned - I think you will like the finished project. I will also let you know who that handsome little boy is.


Linking to these parties:
Say G'Day Saturday Button, Natasha in Oz{nifty button}That DIY Party link party at diyshowoff.comThe Chicken ChickWhat did you make

No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...