FFf Eclectic Red Barn: Slow Cooker Chicken with Mango, Black Bean and Corn Salsa

Monday, May 18, 2015

Slow Cooker Chicken with Mango, Black Bean and Corn Salsa

If you follow me, you know that I have mango trees and they produce many, many mangoes. It is that time of the year again - mangoes are starting to fall. I picked up about a dozen over the weekend. What can I make? Something with chicken and mangoes!
slow cooker chicken with corn and mango salsa


I looked at several recipes for chicken with mango salsa, but I didn't have time to make my mango salsa with pineapple because I was heading to the airport to pick up my husband and I wanted to put this in the crock pot.

Some of the other recipes called for tomatoes and I am not a big fan of tomatoes. Can you believe that I hate Ketchup! I can handle spaghetti sauce and other sauces if the tomatoes are really small or I take them out. Strange, I know!

I had this jar of corn salsa and some black beans so I had my "salsa" part. 

I cut my chicken into half but you could keep them whole. Then I browned them, but you could probably skip that part.
Chicken with corn and mango salsa
I only have end result pictures because I had no idea it would turn out this great.

I placed the chicken in the crock pot, dumped the corn salsa on top, followed by the drained and rinsed black beans. 

Next I cut up the mangoes and put them in the pot. I squeezed the remaining mango over the other ingredients.  I added some cilantro on top and stirred it all up. (You could use frozen mangoes as well)

Now most of the recipes called for cooking this 4-6 hours. That would have been way too long. I cooked it on the 6 hour setting and after 2 hours) it was almost done so I put it on low for another hour and then turned it off. I had to stir it often to keep it from sticking. Next time I will add some additional liquid. Probably puree some mangoes in the blender and add that.  Maybe add some pineapple juice! 

I made the coconut rice and toasted some coconut in the microwave. That is the best way to toast coconut. I used to do it in the oven, but I always seem to burn a batch. Place the coconut on a plate, microwave at 40 minute intervals, stirring after each. In about 3-4 minutes, it is nicely toasted.

I plated our dinner, it smelled so good. I added the toasted coconut on top with some additional cilantro. We both looked at each other and dug in. Yummy! My husband said, "there are left overs, right?" Oh yes! This is going to be one of my favorites.
The post Slow Cooker Chicken with Mango, Black Bean and Corn Salsa first appeared on Eclectic Red Barn.



Recipe                                                                          Print


Slow Cooker Chicken with Mango, Black Bean and Corn Salsa
chicken corn and mango salsa.JPG

Ingredients:
3-4 chicken breasts, cut into pieces or left whole
1 jar corn salsa
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
2 fresh mangoes, cut into pieces
cilantro
toasted coconut
Coconut Rice - recipe:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups jasmine rice
1 can coconut milk
1 ½ cups water


Directions:

  1. Spray bottom of slow cooker with PAM
  2. Cut chicken into pieces or leave whole.(I browned my chicken first, but I don’t think you need to.) Place in bottom of slow cooker
  3. Add in one can of corn salsa
  4. Add one can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  5. Add two mangoes, diced. I then squeezed the rest of the mango over the other ingredients to get the juice
  6. Add in some cilantro, I add lots because it like it
  7. Cook on low for 3-4 hours, stir to keep from sticking.(Can be baked in oven)

Making coconut rice:

  1. Melt the butter in a large  and somewhat deep pan.
  2. Add in the brown sugar and salt. Stir until dissolved.
  3. Turn the heat up and add in the rice and coat and cook for about a minute, stirring constantly
  4. Add in coconut milk and water. Stir. Bring to a low boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Stir often.
  5. After 20 minutes, turn off heat and let sit for 5 minutes. Fluff rice and serve.

    Linking to these parties:

    THE SCOOP #171-Hundreds of great ideas from the best of the web-stonegableblog.comProject Inspire{d} Link PartyRecipe Linky PartyTreasure Box Tuesday 72lou lou girls linky partyCreativity Unleashed link party! photo meanderingmondaybadge1014200x200_zps679d2e71.png



No comments :

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Your comments are special to me.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...